Friday, February 26, 2010

Emerging Technology 4: Animoto

Oh my goodness! I think I just found my new best friend. After seeing several of my classmates use this website to create short videos, I had to try. Please, watch my video that I made for a class project that I am going to introduce. My plan is to use this video as the introduction!

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.



I found this site so easy to use. There are several options. You may make free 30-second videos anytime you desire. They are perfect for introducing projects to students, adding a little flair to any blog, summarizing a topic or concept learned or taught in school and more! I really like how the website took you step by step through the creation of your video. There are several things you can choose from their image and musical library when creating your video. You can also use pictures and music from your own library as well and it is easily uploaded.

It would also be a nice tool to have for administrators for team building activities in staff meetings to present a topic or ask the teachers to think about something for the meeting. I personally would find it very creative on their part if they were to use Animoto in a meeting! It took me honestly about 10 minutes to make my video especially when I was inspired! I didn't have any pictures nor did they have any I wanted to use, so I simply went to Google Images and saved several that I wanted to use to my computer and was able to upload them from there. Piece of cake!

Not only can you make videos and use them for educational purposes, Animoto provides the opportunity for you to create and send personal videos to family, friends, and loved ones. What a nice idea for a birthday or a holiday! It is very personal and the person receiving your creation will know you spent time and energy to make it personal!

The only thing I didn't like was that if you wanted to create a video beyond 30 seconds, you had to pay. One full-length video costs $3. However, if you plan on using the website often, you can by an "All Access Pass" for one year for $30. That's at least 10 videos if you think about it, which again isn't bad if you were to use it more often that that.

Link to Animoto.com

3 comments:

  1. Awesome video! Where did you get all the great pictures. If this is not too time consuming I can see making a lot of these. How about the students making their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clips I just got from google images. The kids could make one on their own, but they would only be able to make a 30 second for free. For three dollars, they could make one that has no time limit. I think the kids could use the program very easily at most age levels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I am really impressed with your animoto presentation! I also really enjoyed working with this program. Wouldn't it have been so much more interesting had our teachers had this technology when we were in high school?

    ReplyDelete